Posted on Jun 19th, 2008 by Allison (Whatever)

Oh, watermelon, thou perfect summer fruit.
You beguile me so, with sweet redness
encased in emerald orb.
Crisp and juicy, refreshing and yummy
and delightfully seedless.
A guiltless summer pleasure, full of fluid and fiber.
I will love you now….
gorging myself on your goodness.
For all too soon your glory shall fade into fall.
Why must your season of sweet ripeness be so brief?

Comments

Michelle on June 19th, 2008 at 6:15 am

…in the name of Jesus Christ, amen.

This little sweet poem has strengthened my testimony of the watermelon.

Please use the word “orb” more often,

Chris on June 19th, 2008 at 7:23 am

Now I want to indulge in one of those green orbs myself. There is NOTHING better than your first piece of icy cold watermelon of the summer. We had one a couple of weeks ago and none of us could stop eating it.

Allison on June 19th, 2008 at 12:46 pm

I was so happy to get a good watermelon on my first try this year….. last year, every one of them was either under-ripe (tasteless) or totally mushy. SOOO disappointing. I’m hoping this season is full of delicious green orbs (I love that word – I knew you fellow word-nerds would apreciate it)…. I could go through a watermelon about every day and a half if during the summer if they were all ripe and delicious like this first one.

Ashley Rae on June 19th, 2008 at 2:16 pm

We should start a word-nerd club. I will join and be an active member.

My mother overdosed on watermelon while I was in her womb… and I blame her for my dislike of it. Although I am beginning to be able to appreciate it on a hot summer’s day. :)

Kathleen on June 20th, 2008 at 12:50 pm

Love Michelle’s comment. “orb” such a regal word The queen carries one at the opening of parliment each year, but now thanks to your “ode to the watermelon orb” I shall forever associate the word with you dear Allison. I was sick of the queen anyway! Ashley love the idea of a nerd word club.

irene on June 23rd, 2008 at 3:56 pm

I can hardly wait to get a sweet juicy orb myself…so far I haven’t had a good one this year. Ah but in a few weeks they’ll be coming in from River..yummmmmmmmmm

Allison on June 29th, 2008 at 1:09 am

I wonder if we get green river watermelons up here. I’m going to call around to different grocery stores and ask!

irene on July 12th, 2008 at 6:34 pm

I finally bought and have devoured a delicious watermelon ..I bought it at Costco. YUM !

Allison on July 4th, 2013 at 12:44 am

I am longing for a sweet emerald orb…