Posted on Dec 24th, 2008 by Allison (Reminiscing, Reviews/Recommendations)

SnowstormI’m here in the middle of one of the biggest snow storms in Seattle history…   I’ve only been out twice in the past week – grocery shopping.  Today it took me nearly 30 minutes to dig my car out from under the foot of snow.   And more is in the forecast tonight – so it looks like it will be a white Christmas.  Which brings me to the point of my post – holiday movies.

I remember as a kid looking forward to the annual “Charlie Brown Christmas“, “How The Grinch Stole Christmas” and “Rudolph” specials on TV.   But there are also some great holiday themed movies.

There are classics like “White Christmas” and newer fare such as “Elf” – but I think one of my favorite holiday movies is “Love Actually“.  I know it’s not, actually, a holiday movie – but it does take place during the holidays and I really enjoy it.

Let’s make a list and check it twice.  What are some of your favorite holiday movies?   Are there any you watch every year no matter what?  Any holiday movie traditions?

NOTE:  One of the weirdest movie traditions I ever participated in was at the Pearce family Christmas party.  The first year was ok – someone video taped it.  But the next year, our “entertainment” was watching the previous year’s taped party!!   And the following year we watched it again!!!!   Man, those Pearces know how to party…..

Comments

Jean on December 24th, 2008 at 3:49 am

We wouldn’t want to go with out DVD’s and Cable TV, but waiting all year to watch the Christmas specials was fun. We would plan for them and they were a big event. Some of my favorites: Mr. Krugers Christmas,It’s a Wonderful life , Rudolph the Red nosed Reindeer and of course The Best Christmas Pagent Ever.

Merry Christmas Everyone !!

craig on December 24th, 2008 at 11:22 am

Home for the Holiday’s with Michael Downey Junior, Holly Hunt, and Anne Bancroft is a must….reminds me of my disfunctional (at times) family. Also White Christams – although Paul and I watch it 3 or 4 times a year to see Danny Kaye and Bing Crosby do “Sisters”. Sure wish I could have seen Paul and Tim perform the number!

Ashley Rae on December 24th, 2008 at 11:39 am

Oh those fun Pearce parties… I only really remember going to 2 of them, I think. I was quite young when they stopped having them…

White Christmas is on my list. I LOVE Elf, and Rudolph is a fun one, too. But the ones we watch every year without fail are Charlie Brown Christmas and A Christmas Story.

Allison on December 24th, 2008 at 12:30 pm

Yes, Craig, I can’t watch White Christmas or hear the song “Sisters” without thinking of Paul. He missed his calling – should have been a performer :)

There was another strange holiday viewing tradition with the Pearces – though it could have been on Thanksgiving. We’d all gather after dinner at Tim’s, I think (maybe at Grandma Kate’s, they lived next door… someone will have to remind me where) and watch “The Ritz” – a madcap comedy that takes place in (what else) a gay bath house. Rita Moreno is the star performer at the bath house. We’d all gather round and watch and laugh….

craig on December 24th, 2008 at 1:47 pm

we just re-watched The Ritz for the umpteenth time last week!

paul on December 24th, 2008 at 1:51 pm

Allison. You are right about thanksgiving, We had that at grandmas and after that, the rebels went next door to Tim and Kathys to watch the Ritz and read sunstone magazine. And about the Christmas party. Are you talking about the one where we drove for miles on snow packed mountain roads in the dark in rear wheel drive oldsmobiles and LTD,s without our seatbelts on so that we could eat some something or other on a shingle and then hope your diahrea attach comes before you get back your LTD for the long trip home? That one? Yes, we pearce’s really do know how to have a good time.

Allison on December 24th, 2008 at 1:58 pm

Yeah – that’s the one. I think it was Tom’s cabin or clubhouse up in the mountains. I do remember the onlly real highlights were when I led everyone in a very twanged-up, countrified version of “Oh Holy Night” (G. Kate was NOT amused), and then us rebels laughing ourselves silly at the back of the room as we observed all the absurdity taking place. I mean really, our entertinment was watching the video of the previous years’ entertainment???? Only Dick could have thought of that…..

craigthegrey on December 24th, 2008 at 2:20 pm

I once attended a family reunion (yes, my families’ reunion) where the entertainment consisted of video taping everyone in the family, then watching said videotape – immediately. I believe we spent about an hour an half making the tape and over two hours watching it – all in one fun filled afternoon.

paul on December 24th, 2008 at 2:45 pm

that’s a trump card

Kathleen on December 26th, 2008 at 1:49 am

I’m laughing so hard, I don’t think my knickers will ever dry!!!
Ah, the Pearce Parties. Who could forget Mel’s rendition of Lady of Spain on the accordian? Now there was a holiday favorite!
The parties were held at Tom and Judy’s club house/restaurant up at East Canyon. Yes, Paul, I remember the dreadful journey each year over snow packed canyon roads. Don’t forget Grandma’s Bingo game tradition. We should all transition well into Nursing Homes since some of these parties conditioned us well in the art of boredom. Allison, We have to admit, Craig’s family reunions have trumped our christmas video viewing.
I am at John and Jen’s, I always stay over on Christmas Eve, this year I stayed an extra night. We all watched A Christmas Story. I’t getting to be a favorite with the boys.
I love the Ritz! There was a certain rogue element in the family wasn’t there? I wish everyone could have heard Allison play the twangy, country version of Oh Holy Night. Grandma was not amused! I remember Dick giving Tim and I a lecture of the evils of reading Sunstone and Dialogue. That was almost as funny as him giving us advice on how to raise children!

Kathleen on December 26th, 2008 at 2:03 am

We’ve had some great funerals too. There was a time in my life when I had the mortuary on speed dial!
Memorials day has been memorable too. I remember Amy placing a “Get Well Soon Balloon” on Annie’s grave one time. It may have been the same year I placed a bouquet of Pansies on Tim’s. Daisy was happy, she kept telling me how much she loved Pansies! I think Tim would have laughed, we all know Annie would have appreciated Amy’s gesture!

Amy on December 27th, 2008 at 11:14 am

Ahh the Ritz… Some children had Sesame Street… we had the Ritz…. Not too many 9 year olds know the famous quotes of “there will be an orgy starting in room 12″ or the classically delivered Rita Moreno line of “I was a f&#$%@! Von Trapp kid” It was nice being raised in such an open and liberal Mormon family. Of course I do censor quite a bit when we are asked to share favorite family traditions in Relief Society.
Speaking of funerals…. Mom do you remember John following around Dicks bald spot for a good segment of film at Pleasant Grove Cemetary? Classic film noir…. a funeral from the point of view of Dick and his balding head.
Happy Holidays all my Silence of the Clams friends :)

Deb Wells on December 28th, 2008 at 10:52 pm

Hey Alli :)))

What a great discussion here! I recognize a lot of the movies mentioned in the comments and you might think we are nuts here but every year we watch Grumpy Old Men and Grumpier Old Men…..we think they are hilarious! When time allows….my sisters and I watch White Christmas because we love the song *Sisters*.

We got snowed in for more than a few days too and the ol’ DVD player was in use alot! For Christmas I got the movie *The Inheritance*….it was great!

I FINALLY started a blog of my own today, after wanting to for nearly 2 years. I am a Blogger In Training for sure but having a lot of fun so far!

Talk soon ladybug…..

kaylyn on December 29th, 2008 at 10:14 am

My family has a tradition of watching A Christmas Story every Christmas Eve. :) It’s a favorite in our house!

I saw that you commented on my mom’s blog! :) The Nutballs are TO DIE FOR!! You would love them, I just know it.

I hope your Christmas was great! Is it still snowing there? I want to move to Washington to get away from the snow…this is not good.

Michelle on December 30th, 2008 at 3:24 pm

Yes, I concur “Love Actually” is a fav, also “Frosty” and “Home for the Holidays”