Posted on Jul 19th, 2009 by Allison (In the Garden)

It’s been too hot here the past week or so… hovering in the low 80s. I know, I know, I’m a weather wuss. But that’s (one of the reasons) why I moved here!

What I think it looks like in AZMy iPhone has a handy, dandy feature where it shows me the current temp in whatever cities I have selected to check. It frequently reminds me how glad I am I live here, rather than in the parched desert. Here is where things stand at 12:56pm on Sunday, July 19th.

• Mill Creek, WA: A perfect 64°
  • Salt Lake City, UT: 94°
  • Kennewick, WA: 83°
  • Princeville, HI: 80°
  • Phoenix, AZ: 110°

The high today will be around 74°. And if that weren’t enough to make me love living in Washington, take a gander at what’s been happening in my garden the last while. Those tall pink and white foxglove just sprouted from seeds that blew over from the field behind my condo. Cool, huh?

In my garden

How are you enjoying the weather??

Comments

Brandon Pearce on July 19th, 2009 at 3:44 pm

Beautiful flowers! I’m glad you’re liking the cool weather.

Yes, it’s quite hot here in Salt Lake. I just got back from Kyoto, Japan, where it was about the same temperature, but felt SO much hotter because of the humidity. Constant sweat! Eww.. I did like how moist my skin was there, though.

A nice 70-75° with a good amount of humidity would my idea of a perfect climate. (Although I’d like it a little cooler at night). :)

Kristin on July 19th, 2009 at 4:24 pm

The forecast had been 102º today, but I am happy it’s only 89º currently. I find the older I get the more moderate I like things. Kennewick is often too hot or too cold for me. Your area seems just about right.

Your little garden is delightful.

Ashley Rae on July 19th, 2009 at 4:55 pm

I’m so glad the temperature has finally started cooling down for you. We enjoyed the 89 degree weather up in Park City, today :) It was beautiful.

I love your garden.

Jean on July 19th, 2009 at 5:07 pm

Your garden is beautiful. I planted tons of veggies this year and they were doing fantastic.. Then came 111 degrees
and no amount of water could save them.

It is very HOT here so I am greatful for Air Conditioning. July and August are always HOT here but the rest of the year is rather nice.

Jennifer Pearce on July 19th, 2009 at 5:13 pm

Your flowers are so beautiful. Your garden has really taken off! Looks like all your slug hunts have been well worth it. :)

I too am very grateful for air conditioning. The past few days when I have happened to step outside (even at nighttime), I’ve been shocked to feel like I just stepped into an oven!

paul on July 19th, 2009 at 5:18 pm

It’s been a little hot here also. We have so many micro climates in Sonoma county that the temperature varies 20 degrees depending on what little town you live in. Where I work it can be 100 degrees and I can come home to 70. The wonderful thing about this amazing county is the fog that rolls in about 6 o’clock every evening. No matter how hot it gets during the day, you always have to have lots of covers in order to sleep.

irene on July 19th, 2009 at 5:34 pm

I Love, LOVE your garden. I wished mine looked so good. It’s too HOT for me! I’m a fair weather kind of lady. 78 degrees is about perfect for me. We came to the cabin today ( I think I’ll start saying the country instead of the cabin. It seems more appropriate to me :o) We don’t have air conditioning here and it seems way to warm in the cabin for me. Bart doesn’t think it’s too warm though. IT does cool off very nicely in the evening and night and it will soon be evening, so I’m looking forward to the cool down.

Lauren on July 19th, 2009 at 8:38 pm

Wow! GORGEOUS flowers and amazing photos of said flowers ;). I am seriously jealous of the weather there. I have had a hard time sleeping lately because of the heat–we just can’t keep the condo cool enough!

Michelle on July 20th, 2009 at 12:21 pm

I love your garden so much I would marry it. Ummm who is the owner of that sweet kritten? I’m just about to jump into the pool because it’s a crisp 115 today. I know I know, why do I live in Phoenix? Because of the amazing WINTERS….it’s worth it…I think.

Erica on July 20th, 2009 at 1:36 pm

Thanks for rubbing it in. I just died of heat exhaustion walking out to my car.

Allison on July 21st, 2009 at 12:09 am

So sorry to hear about your garden Jean. I can’t imagine anything but cactus growing in that Las Vegas heat.

Michelle, the kitty is the neighborhood cat who loves to come and sit by me when I work in the yard, or suns himself on my patio while watching the birds. He’s sweet.

Robert on July 21st, 2009 at 4:46 am

The temperature has been very moderate this year on Long Island… only in the lower to mid 80s, and I’m thankful for that. But the humidity is awful. Like walking through soup. We have 3 AC’s in our apartment. One in each bedroom, and a big one in the living room. The one in the LR is gigantic and gets things too cold, even on a low setting. I find if the bedroom AC’s are running and the doors are open the rest of the place is okay. Mine is the only one left on as it turns on and off automatically when the temperature fluctuates. Someone threw it out and Javier brought it home for me so it didnt’ cost a thing. It was pretty dirty but I put it in the tub and scrubbed it clean inside and out. It really looks brand new and works perfectly. I don’t understand people throwing good stuff out, but am happy to have it come my way when they do. If I am cooking I turn the big one on. I expect the temperature to spike sometime before September (it always does)….. so maybe I’ll have the big one on more then..

Kathleen on July 21st, 2009 at 7:48 am

I have fond memories of sitting in your beautiful, peaceful garden Allison. It’s too hot for me! I have the pool, but I hate having to wash my hair etc., everytime I use it. I know. I’m lazy.
Hey Rob, I couldn’t believe the great things people threw out in New York. My friend found a fabulous Mitchell Gold sofa, cream. perfect condition only needed to be dry cleaned. It was left in the utility room of his building, with a note for the concierge to get rid of it! Some people have too much money!

Chris on July 21st, 2009 at 8:13 pm

I am NOT enjoying the weather, thank you. Except yesterday we had some awesome thunderstorms that made the whole house vibrate, with actual RAIN.
I wouldn’t believe how beautiful it is where you live, something out of fantasy, except that I’ve been there, so I can’t refute it. :(

These months in Phoenix are when Mike and I talk about moving, without fail, every summer. Somehow we make it through.

craig on July 21st, 2009 at 9:21 pm

The weather here in Sonoma County is just too perfect so Paul and I are taking a road trip (in his new toy) to Las Vegas in a couple of weeks. We decided to see if the battery cables would melt there like they did in Phoenix back in the 90’s when he drove his T-bird to visit me while I was at a convention…we remember the pool was nice… Hopefully there will be a nice one at the hotel. My brother lives in St. George and is curious as to the timing of our first visit to see him in years in August…but what the hey – the AC should be working.

craig on July 28th, 2009 at 4:50 pm

Sooooo Miss Smarty Pants…what was the temp in Seattle today??

Just kidding…hope you’re staying cool.

Allison on July 28th, 2009 at 5:21 pm

It’s too damn hot! We usually have a week of 90+ temps, and it’s here.