Posted on Sep 16th, 2009 by Allison (Whatever)

Today I made a most unpleasant discovery. When I opened my cupboard to select my morning tea, I was greeting by about 50 tiny fruit flies. This is a total shock, as I don’t keep any fresh fruit or veggies in the cupboard.

I hate fruit flies.

After a little detective work, I discovered that a little plastic single serve bowl of Dole sliced pineapple had torn open and the flies had made a lovely home. They must have just started hatching last night while I slept. Evil, bad fruit flies.

I’ve been chasing them around the house, sucking them up into my vacuum all day!

Of course this isn’t nearly as bad as the infestation in my home many years ago when a forgotten bag of potatoes had rotted in the basement………… yuck!

Comments

Ashley Rae on September 17th, 2009 at 10:28 am

Eeeeeeeeew.

craig on September 17th, 2009 at 11:24 am

at least they weren’t cockroaches…In my previous life as a manager at McDonald’s I was transferred to the one in front of the old South High. During the lunch rush I was boxing up the Big Mac’s in their non-recyclable pyrosterine boxes and a cockroach crawled out onto my arm. Later that day I was trying to investigate and took the lid off the drink tower and looked down into find a nest that was at least 3 inches deep in the buggers… Makes you want a Big Mac doesn’t it??

Fruit flies are nice.

craig on September 17th, 2009 at 11:25 am

I meant to say polystyrene (I think)

Allison on September 17th, 2009 at 11:34 am

Oh, Craig, that is absolutely disgusting. I’m having a mild convulsion just thinking about it.

Fortunately I haven’t had much experience with cock roaches. My most disturbing roach experience was when I worked at Daynes Music in downtown salt lake.

I went in to the restroom to use it, and as I turned to sit down noticed this HUGE – I mean nearly 6″ long roach in the bowl. Naturally I stopped mid-sit and screamed – and rather than flushing it, made people come look at it and comfort me. (Of course I pulled my pants up first :)

Chris on September 18th, 2009 at 8:41 am

Ugh I hate bugs of any sort, almost. Bugs that are a nuisance anyway. That cockroach story from Craig makes my skin crawl. UGHHHHHHHHH! I hope you got all those suckers, Allison.

Robert on September 18th, 2009 at 1:15 pm

I get fruit flies at the end of summer when I’m bottling Kombucha. That is one reason they have you cover the jar with a paper towel and use a rubber band to secure the edges around the mouth of the jar… That way the Kombucha can breath, but the fruit flies cannot get into it.

The last time I had that problem, I used a big piece of duct tape to get them. I’d wait for them to land, and then hit them with the tape. It was such a joy to see them stuck there helplessly…

I never saw a cockroach in my life until I moved here (with the exception of seeing them in Hawaii)… for some reason that put the idea into my head that they were only common along coastal areas. I’m surprised to hear Salt Lake City has them… and greatful none of the homes I grew up in had them..

I ate at that McDonalds across from SLCC, as well as the Arby’s there….. makes me wonder if I ended up with a bit more protein than I should have had…