Posted on Jul 27th, 2010 by Allison (In the Garden, Living in the NW)

If you know me well, or frequent my blog, you are aware that there are literally dozens, if not hundreds, of reasons why I love living in the northwest.

Today I share with you reason #37 (which is a completely arbitrary number):

Bamboo

I love bamboo, and love that that it grows so well here.

Over the weekend I discovered Bamboo Gardens in Redmond – a nursery which not only sells bamboo, but has lush, beautiful groves of several varieties planted on their property.

I spent over an hour wandering about with my camera, feeling very ‘zen.’

I wish I had somewhere I could plant my own bamboo forest…

Comments

craigthegrey on July 27th, 2010 at 6:52 pm

You know, we put some in our backyard recently and I’ve been amazed at how it grows – literally as much as six inches from one morning to the next. Two days ago I noticed a new stalk come up, I just went and measured it at 17 inches – in just a couple of days! We have three or four stalks that have grown taller than I am in just a couple of weeks.

paul on July 27th, 2010 at 8:04 pm

You did mention your little bamboo fetish. We went to the Bamboo gardens and the Huntington Library. It was pretty amazing. We also have a resident at my work who put dry bamboo stalks all over the inside of his studio apt. He’s a little unstable. Be careful with this one.

Chris on July 27th, 2010 at 8:05 pm

Beautiful and very exotic looking. Anything grows in the Northwest, I swear. Just do an experiment for me: put a dry stick in the ground and see if it sprouts. :)
Your bamboo needs some fat pandas peeking through.

Jennifer Pearce on July 27th, 2010 at 10:15 pm

Bamboo is so beautiful. Just one of those things you have to stop and stare at for a while. :)

Brandon Pearce on July 27th, 2010 at 10:17 pm

I love bamboo too!!! I loved all the bamboo groves in Japan and often took the chance to walk through them. We have a few diffent kinds of bamboo in our garden here at Costa Rica, too. Very fun. (And one is very spiky.)

@Chris – I don’t know about the northwest, but sticks will definitely grow if you put them in the ground here. People here often cut a branch off a plant and stick it in the ground. It’s like magic! :)

Kristin on July 28th, 2010 at 12:10 am

I love bamboo, too. Especially the very tall varieties. You’re going to have to take me to Bamboo Gardens when I’m down there – it looks really cool.

Ashley Rae on July 28th, 2010 at 8:41 am

Oooh so pretty. I think you’d be insane to not love bamboo. :) It’s very zen and beautiful.

@Brandon- really? That is very very cool.

Michelle on July 28th, 2010 at 3:36 pm

Soo pretty! I can’t believe you didn’t post the pictures of me and you poking our heads through the bamboo when you visited AZ many many moons ago…

craigthegrey on July 30th, 2010 at 10:10 pm

Just re-measured that same bamboo stalk in our back yard, the one that was 17 inches tuesday evening; tonight: 26 inches

Anne Heartsong on August 5th, 2010 at 9:56 pm

Ah, yes… bamboo! It’s a grass so grows so very fast. It’s a little creepy how it can grow a foot over night! I have some outside the Sunday Peaceful Heart room. It grows up through the deck and you can see it through my dining room. When we planted it we had to put in a barrier or else it would spread all over the yard. I just discovered this year that it has “jumped” the barrier and started growing under the lower deck. It was pushing a board up and would have ruined the deck if I hadn’t discovered it. It’s ALIVE!! Your pictures are beautiful Allison!!