Posted on May 27th, 2011 by Allison (Recipes)

This week I tried a new recipe. Turned out DELICIOUS and I decided to share…

Black Bean (Mint) Brownies

• 1 15oz. can of UNSEASONED black beans – drained and rinsed
  • 4 eggs (extra large)
  • 1 cup Sugar (I used xylitol)
  • 3 1/2 tbsp. unsweetened cocoa powder (I used Hershey’s Special Dark)
  • 1 tsp. baking powder
  • 2 tbsp. oil or butter
  • 1 Tbs Vanilla
  • 1/2 tsp baking soda
  • 1/4 cup ricotta or cream cheese
  • Chopped nuts – optional (I used walnuts)
  • 4 – 5 drops Peppermint Essential oil (optional)

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Mix all ingredients but nuts in a food processor or blender- blend very, very well. If you want them even more chocolaty, you could toss in some chocolate chips with the nuts at this point.

Pour into an 8×8 baking pan sprayed with cooking spray or oiled with canola or olive oil. Bake for 30-40 minutes. (til toothpick pulls out clean).

Who knew black beans could taste so moist and chocolaty!
I recommend these highly if you’re trying to go gluten free for cut down on carbs.

By the way… Black Bean Brownies do not cause gas. Because the black beans are pureed, the fiber is broken down before you eat them. Yeah!

Try them and let me know what you think.

Comments

Jennifer Pearce on May 28th, 2011 at 1:30 pm

I am very excited to try these! Did you use ricotta or cream cheese in yours?

Allison on May 28th, 2011 at 2:10 pm

I used cream cheese – actually Neufch√Ętel because it’s what I had in the fridge (lower fat than regular cream cheese).

Also, I think that if you didn’t use the dark chocolate cocoa you might want a little more chocolate added… chocolate chips maybe.

And because I quite like mint, I’ll probably add another drop or two when I make them again.

Robert on May 28th, 2011 at 3:48 pm

I have a black bean cookie recipe that is pretty good.. so I’d heard of the concept. Apparently they use black beans for desserts in China quite a bit.

Jennifer Pearce on May 29th, 2011 at 10:26 am

O.K. Thank you! I am excited to try them out soon. :)

paul on May 30th, 2011 at 4:01 pm

Not much of a baker or a dessert eater, sadly.

Ashley Rae on May 30th, 2011 at 7:34 pm

Wow….I am really surprised they turned out so well. I have all of the ingredients except for cream cheese. Perhaps I’ll make a quick run to the store… although, more than likely, if I do that, I’ll just pick up a box of Duncan Hines brownie mix.

Michelle on May 31st, 2011 at 2:24 pm

Yummmm! They look fabulous, please fly to Phoenix and make them for me.

Brandon Pearce on June 2nd, 2011 at 12:33 pm

Wow, I never would that thought to put beans in brownies. Glad to hear they turned out well!

Anne Heartsong on June 6th, 2011 at 6:02 pm

Please bring to Peaceful Heart Ministries service! :-)