Posted on Feb 2nd, 2008 by Allison (Music / Entertainment, Whatever)

Is anyone else creeped out by these Charles Schwab commercials?  Disturbing.  The animation just gives me the willies every time I see one – so much so that I had to blog about it. Lucky you. I can’t imagine this improving their business…

On the other hand, there are a handful of commercials out right now that always make me chuckle.  They’re stupid, but I always laugh.

One is the William Shatner as the Price Line Negotiator.  I love his horrible kung fu moves and that he can be such a dork and not take himself seriously.   I also find myself chuckling at the Emerald Nuts commercials…  the Swiss Family Robinson or the “Addicted To Love Girls” that appear at 3pm and mess with the person who’s sleeping because he didn’t eat the nuts to stay awake. Really dumb, but funny.

And lastly – for some reason I smile every time USA Network plays their promo for the upcoming Westminster Kennel Club Dog Show. It has these dogs, photographed like models, with wind blowing on them (the Afghan hound is beautiful), etc. as “I’m Too Sexy” plays, or “She’s Like The Wind“….

Any standout commercials for you?

Comments

craig on February 2nd, 2008 at 3:23 pm

I’m with you, those are some creep commercials. Though they’ve got you talking about them, which is the objective.

I also thougtht the movie of “The Polar Express” was creepy, not close enough to a reality to be impressive, but too realistic for animation. Just creepy…

craig on February 2nd, 2008 at 3:32 pm

There are some great commercials out there, our current favorites seem to be the geico ones with the “hired professionals” to help people tell their story. I particularly like the one with The Pips and Peter Frampton. The Joan Rivers one is pretty good, too. Oh, and Little Richard, though you don’t see that one much any more. ( http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Em-b0wQzQ-0&feature=related )

Allison on February 2nd, 2008 at 4:48 pm

Yeah, the Geiko commercials are pretty funny. I really liked the one with the famous announcer. I also liked the caveman one when he was on the moving sidewalk at the airport, saw the sign for Geiko and just shakes his head, as that great song “Everywhere I go, there’s always something to remind me… or another place and time” plays in the background. But I haven’t seen it in awhile.

Allison on February 2nd, 2008 at 4:49 pm

I’ve never seen Polar Express. The trailers for it creeped me out enough that I haven’t wanted to sit through 90 minutes of that bizarre animation.

Kristin Cottle on February 2nd, 2008 at 5:58 pm

I hate those Charles Schwab commercials. I complain about them to Craig every time they come on. Just pay the actors to work on screen… Geez. Either give me real, traditional animation or nothing at all. Yet if you’d asked me which company was running them, I couldn’t tell you. They are not known as the Charles Schwab commercials. They are the creepy animated commerials.

I haven’t seen the Westminster Kennel Club Dog Show before.

Rob on February 2nd, 2008 at 7:21 pm

I LOVED the Polar Express. There is a scene in that movie that little Javier loves too. For a minute the first time I watched it, I thought they were real people… and then I looked closer, and I was like, “OMG, these are cartoons… ” and I got used to it and it was no biggie. Great story..

Ashley Rae on February 3rd, 2008 at 11:16 am

Those commercials are very creepy. I just saw one the other day and thought… what the…?
But that Swiss Family Robinson commercial is hilarious.

craig on February 11th, 2008 at 2:42 pm

Didn’t Snikers do a commercial where at 3:00 pm Robert Goulet sneaks into your office and messes with your stuff?

I haven’t seen any of those emerald nuts ones, I’d sure like to see the “Addicted to Love” girls… that would be a hoot…

Allison on February 11th, 2008 at 2:46 pm

I thought it was Snickers, too – but Robert Goulet was actually the first in this series of Emerald Nuts commercials – unveiled at the 2007 superbowl… (thanks, youtube)

After you watch the swiss family robinson video, there are a few new video options that show at the bottom. Both the Addicted to Love and Robert Goulet versions are there.

Michelle on February 23rd, 2008 at 9:26 am

I couldn’t agree more with the creepy commercials, I quickly change the channel when they come on.

…and yes, I love the silly Shatner Kung Fu one…I always chuckle.