Posted on Dec 19th, 2008 by Allison (Recipes)

When it gets cold like this, I often find myself in the mood for soup.   Especially since I can cook it up once, then eat it for several days.

Taco soupOf my three usual favorites, the one that sounded best for this cold spell is my mom’s Taco Soup.   Probably because I had all the ingredients on hand, and couldn’t leave the house because my car doors were frozen shut!

The recipe below makes an absolutely HUGE batch.  Frankly, I don’t even own a pot that would contain it all – so I always halve it, and it is more than enough to feed a family with leftovers.

Last night it really hit the spot – I’m looking forward to another bowl tonight.

TACO SOUP

• 1 Pound hamburger
  • 1 onion- chopped
  • 1 can beef broth
  • 2 cans water
  • 2 beef bullion cubes
  • ½ to 1 cup salsa
  • 1 envelope taco seasoning mix
  • 2 quarts of tomatoes (if they are too chunky, chop in a blender)
  • 1 quart of water
  • 2 cans red kidney beans (undrained)
  • 2 cans pork and beans

Brown hamburger with onion. Drain and rinse.  Add remaining ingredients and simmer for 30 minutes. Serve with sour cream and Frito corn chips

Do you have a favorite soup recipe? What do you crave on cold, winter days?

Comments

Robert on December 19th, 2008 at 6:59 pm

My mother used to make this, or something very similar. And I’ve wanted to find a recipe for years. Thanks.. I think I’ll try this this weekend..

Kathleen on December 19th, 2008 at 7:10 pm

I wanted this recipe from you and I kept forgetting to ask. Thanks a million!

Jennifer Pearce on December 19th, 2008 at 10:17 pm

I think this sounds really good! I think those frito chips on top look great too! I shall have to try it out at our house soon. Tonight we had chicken and dumplings. Also really great for a cold winter night.

Ashley Rae on December 20th, 2008 at 12:04 am

mmmmmmmmmmm I miss your taco soup. It’s one of my favorite comfort foods. You had all of that stuff on hand? That’s impressive.

I need to get me some kidney beans. And pork & beans. And hamburger. Actually, I think the only thing I have on hand, currently, is the water. Oh, and sour cream.

Allison on December 20th, 2008 at 12:13 am

Well, I had everything but the fritos on hand. When I couldn’t get my car door open, I called my neighbor Darren to see if maybe he’d pick some up for me on the way home, and he happened to be in the grocery store at that very moment.

I always keep the canned ingredients for this dish in my cupboard… and I often have hamburger in the freezer if not in the fridge. If you typically have sour cream on hand, this can be a spur of the moment dish any night – and doesn’t take long to make.

So next time you go to the store, buy enough for a full batch (you’ll need to get 2 cans of the beef broth – I do that and then use a little less added water when I halve the batch) – and then you’ll have enough on hand to make it twice!

Ashley Rae on December 20th, 2008 at 12:22 pm

That’s a good idea! Thanks, mom :)

[…] in the meantime, Craig has done a favorite holiday food survey and Allison has posted one of her favorite soup recipes (it is very good).  […]

Kristin on December 20th, 2008 at 1:50 pm

This is a really good soup! I don’t fix soup; Craig’s the expert there, and I don’t think he has ever fixed this one. So, how about it, Craig? :)

Jean on December 21st, 2008 at 11:44 pm

When it is cold I like to bake…Pumpkin Bread or Banana Bread
and make homemade pork and white bean soup.

! take a pork loin and cut it into thick slices..

I sautee onions and celery

put 1 package of white beans in the slow cooker generously covered by water.

Add the pork loin, onion and celery, salt and peper to taste

Add 1 can of Italian style tomatoes

cover and cook all day until beans and meat are very tender.

This is delicious. Now that I live alone I place the left overs in tupperware type containers and freeze. It is as good later when reheated.

Chris on December 22nd, 2008 at 3:57 pm

Man that sounds good–I may have to make this tonight. I lovvvvveeee soup on a cold day, there is just nothing better. I’m sorry your doors got frozen shut, but all the better to stay in and eat lots of soup. :)

Allison on December 22nd, 2008 at 9:24 pm

Jean, I think this Taco Soup also freezes up pretty well… but I tend to eat it all so have none to freeze :)

Tammy on December 22nd, 2008 at 11:47 pm

My grandma always has a soup and salad open house for Christmas Eve – yes, this year I was asked to bring a pot of soup and Ashley Rae told me this recipe was awesome so I’m going to give it a try.

Grandma now has 90 people in the family so I’m thinking about doubling the recipe (others are bringing soup as well). How many does one batch feed? I’m guessing I dont have a pan that would begin to hold a double batch but I have a HUGE crockpot. Can you throw all of this in a crockpot and let it simmer for a few hours? Also, do you drain the tomatoes or Pork and beans? Now that I have bought all the ingredients and they are all sitting on my cupboard it looks like I have enough tomatoes to feed a small army – do I really use 4 quarts for a double batch?

Thanks for posting the recipe and thanks in advance for any help you can give with my questions.

Allison on December 23rd, 2008 at 12:14 am

Hey Tammy – I hope you and the family enjoy this soup as much as I do… it is delicious and easy to make.

I’ve never done the crockpot route. I think you’d probably still want to brown the hamburger first, but after that I’m sure you could just let it simmer awhile to cook the rest of the ingredients through.

I don’t drain anything, though I do remove the large pieces of fat from the pork & beans.

I easily get 8+ good sized serviings out of a half batch – I just measured and the pot I use holds 4 quarts. So that’s how much soup I get from a half batch. So probably 7 – 8 quarts from a full batch, which should easily give 16 – 22 bowls.

Let me know how it turns out and how they all like it!

Tammy on December 23rd, 2008 at 1:19 am

I’m always cooking way too much food.
Sounds like one full batch might be plently. Thanks a bunch for measuring your pot thats a great help!

HAPPY HOLIDAYS…

Robert on December 23rd, 2008 at 5:43 am

Oh my that’s alot of sour cream and fritos… : )

kaylyn on December 23rd, 2008 at 9:08 am

Yes, the answer to my riddle is indeed ‘a habit’. Great guess!

That soup looks absolutely fantastic! I have a yummy recipe for Wisconsin cheese and vegetable soup. :) I will post the recipe here for you when I get home, I don’t have it with me right now.

Happy Holidays!

Silence of the Clams » » Beef Stew on December 7th, 2010 at 2:25 am

[…] me for several days. I can handle reheating soup. In fact, about this time 2 years ago, I shared my Taco Soup recipe with you. Did you try […]